06 November 2014

Review - Black Ice By: Becca Fitzpatrick

Title: Black Ice
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK, 384 Pages (October 7th 2014)
From: Purchased from Asda
Format: Hardback
Add to: Goodreads
Order a copy: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository, Amazon UK

Synopsis: Britt Pfeiffer has never been that adventurous, but that's about to change. Wanting to impress her ex-boyfriend, Britt convinces best friend, Korbie, to take a trekking trip with her. But when a freak storm leaves the girls stranded they seek shelter in a cabin, where they find two knights in shining armour. Or so they think.

Britt quickly realises that the girls need to get off the mountain, fast. In exchange for her life, she is forced to guide the boys down, and as they set out on a harrowing journey through the cold and snow, Britt realises the only way to escape with her life is to pretend she is on their side. But is gorgeous, sexy Mason an enemy or an ally? Tension mounts, and it's only a matter of time before things turn deadly . . .

Dark and adrenaline-filled, Black Ice will have you on the edge of your seat right until the final twist

Review: 3.5 stars - Contains Spoilers

I loved Becca Fitzpatrick’s Hush, Hush series and had very high expectations for Black Ice. Sadly on this occasion of reading they were not met.

Britt Pfeiffer and her friend Korbie are planning to spend spring break trekking around the Grand Teton National Park. Things are looking good for Britt, and they get even better when she finds out that Korbie’s brother Calvin, the guy she’s been in love with for years is coming on the trip too.

When a freak snow storm hits as the girls are travelling to Korbie’s parent’s cabin. Britt and Korbie are forced to leave the car, and find shelter at a stranger’s cabin.
Shaun and Mason are too good looking guys; who at first glance seem really nice. It soon becomes apparent that these guys aren’t as genuine as first thought.

The snowstorm continues as held at gun point Britt is tasked with leading Shaun and Mason across the national park to safety; leaving Korbie to fend for herself.
When a lie Britt told is covered up by Mason, you start to realise he might not be all that he seems.

This is when the book started getting a little weird for me. Someone’s holding you at gun point and threatening your life or is in league with someone who is threatening your life and all of a sudden you find yourself falling for him. Britt does wonder about Stockholm syndrome in the book, and I do wonder. However, over a matter of 3 or 4 days is this possible?

Just when you think the cavalry has arrived and finally out of the storm walks Calvin. The guy, who should be there to save Britt, commits an act which kind of leaves you speechless.

This is when the grey cells of your mind get working and the book turns into a whodunit kind of mystery thriller. Wasn’t quite expecting what happened and there are more twists and turns in this book than a rollercoaster. Definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I don’t want to say much more, because I feel everyone should be able to experience the intrigue of this book for themselves. Although it wasn’t for me this time, I think I will read it again at a later date and hopefully enjoy it more.

The only thing that I can pinpoint as to why I didn’t enjoy this book was Britt’s character. Initially I thought I was going to like her, but as the book went on and her relationship with Mason grew, I started hating her. She was in love with Calvin, he was her every thought. Then bam, meet this new hot bad boy who holds her hostage and it’s like she’s forgotten all about Calvin.

I did however love Mason. I enjoyed his background story and how he develops as a character.

Definitely check out Black Ice if you’re a Becca Fitzpatrick Fan. But remember it’s nothing like the Hush, Hush series.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love