03 June 2013

Review: Wild Awake By: Hilary T. Smith

Title: Wild Awake
Author: Hilary T. Smith
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books, 375 Pages (May 28th, 2013)
From: the Publisher & Amazon Vine
Format: ARC
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: Things you earnestly believe will happen while your parents are away:

1. You will remember to water the azaleas.
2. You will take detailed, accurate messages.
3. You will call your older brother, Denny, if even the slightest thing goes wrong.
4. You and your best friend/bandmate Lukas will win Battle of the Bands.
5. Amid the thrill of victory, Lukas will finally realize you are the girl of his dreams.

Things that actually happen:

1. A stranger calls who says he knew your sister.
2. He says he has her stuff.
3. What stuff? Her stuff.
4. You tell him your parents won’t be able to—
5. Sukey died five years ago; can’t he—
6. You pick up a pen.
7. You scribble down the address.
8. You get on your bike and go.
9. Things . . . get a little crazy after that.*

*also, you fall in love, but not with Lukas.

Both exhilarating and wrenching, Hilary T. Smith’s debut novel captures the messy glory of being alive, as seventeen-year-old Kiri Byrd discovers love, loss, chaos, and murder woven into a summer of music, madness, piercing heartbreak, and intoxicating joy.

Review: 2.5 Stars - Wild Awake, the debut novel by author Hilary T. Smith was an instant must read once I heard about this title. It quickly became a book I was eagerly anticipating.

Oh, I have been thinking about this one for a couple of weeks and I still don’t know where to start. I wanted to love it. I wanted nothing more than all the promise I saw in this one to come shining through and for the characters to be forever embedded in my mind and soul. Because that’s the feeling that I just “knew” would happen when I heard about the book.

I’m all for a mystery and this title screamed mystery. I couldn't wait to find out what this phone call from a stranger was all about.  In the end, that part of the story took a back seat and I was overcome with… well, confusion. The more I read, the more confused I became. While there is some beautiful writing in the book I felt extremely disconnected with the characters and what the heck Kiri, and then Skunk were both going through.

Kiri seemed like a pretty normal teen aged girl at the beginning and then before I knew it I had no idea what was going on. How quickly this book changed and how confused I felt continued for most of the book. I kept reading because of Skunk. To me he turned out to be the most mysterious part of the book and in the end there were no true answers about him either. I could understand they had issues and why Kiri did, but then…. What? I felt like both of their story was cut off somewhat mid-sentence.

I wanted nothing more than to understand this crazy, wild ride of a book and I hoped that by the end I’d have some semblance of an answer or two and while there was kind of one, I still found myself scratching my head wondering what the heck I had just read??

If I was asked what the book was about, I’d have to say self discovery, growing up and a bit about family. Yet without giving too much away, there’s more to the story than JUST that. What kept me reading was the interesting boy Skunk, looking for answers to round out the story and the writing which was brilliant within the madness of the Kiri’s world/life.

All in all, I guess it’s best to say that since I’m still wondering about it that Smith did her job well in making the story memorable. It’s sad when a book you’re looking so forward to doesn't live up to what you were hoping. However I am looking forward to seeing what Smith does next because she does have a knack for words and stories that leave a mark. For those wondering who I would recommend this title to – anyone who likes a standalone YA contemporary title that’s very different and as the title says, ‘Wild’. I have a feeling this is going to be you either love it, or will find yourself scratching your head like I did, kind of books. I hope for future readers it’s the latter.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see someone else who was confused by this book. I just finished it last week and I still have no idea what I read. I wanted a lot more but like you, I'll definitely be checking out what Hilary T. Smith writes next, since she is a great writer. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh noo. I was looking forward to reading this too! I'll have to put it aside for now.. Thank you for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love