08 April 2013

Review: Giving Up The Ghost By: S.A. Price


Title: Giving Up The Ghost (A 13 Shades of Red Novel)
Author: S.A. Price
Publisher: Sisters Price Publishing, (February 19th, 2013)
Add to: Goodreads

NOTE: This title is considered "New Adult" and is intended for a 17 and older audience due to mature content.


Synopsis: Rhys Bellamy is the front man for the wildly successful 13 Shades of Red, a band hailing from New Orleans that is just a bit more then they appear. He’s sexy, caustic and on a path of self destruction that has everything to do with the fact that he can speak to the dead. A man hounded by the death of his fiancée, Rhys is a lothario of the highest caliber. His life, his band, and his agony celebrates his lost love, Phaedra, and it has made him a very popular man with the ladies, even if they will never mean anything to him. Too bad Phaedra has never and will never contact him.

When the band’s first US tour meets with some unforeseen management issues, Saffron Richards is brought in to take care of it. A veteran of the business, Saffron knows all about Rhys and his reputation and doesn’t want to become another notch on his belt. Too bad fate has it in for the both of them, and gives them an attraction neither can deny.

But life on the road with an up and coming band has its problems, from bosses to groupies to just plain old flat tires. And Phaedra, who has been watching from the mists and reveling in the misery of her lost lover doesn’t want to see him happy. Being together is harder than it sounds, especially when Phaedra crosses the veils on All Hallows Eve to reignite the love that Saffron has set to ash in Rhys. And Phaedra is not giving him up without a fight. Not because she loves him, but because she doesn’t ever want him to forget.

Warning: this is considered a New Adult genre release. Reader discretion is advised.
Review: 3 Stars - Giving up the Ghost is the first title in the 13 Shades of Red series by authors and sisters, Audra and Stella Price. Filled with music and rock stars with the icing on the cake being the supernatural I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy.

Rhys, lead singer and bad boy that everyone wants a piece of is stuck and depressed. He finds it hard to move on after the death of his fiancée Phaedra. Rhys can also talk to the dead. He can help them move on and doesn’t like doing it. The only person he wants to talk to is Phaedra yet she stays away leaving Rhys to suffer. Now being that he’s a rock star bad boy and all he doesn’t suffer too much because all the women want a him and he knows it.

A problem with the tour causes Saffron to walk into their lives and take charge. She’s one hell of a female character and I loved reading her thoughts. Struggling to make a name for herself in the music industry she’s in for a wild ride and some major challenges if she’s going to come out on top as a tour manager.

If you ask me, Saffron made this book. While she had to deal with more than just fighting off Rhys she totally blew me away by how she took charge and didn’t take any crap. While she might not have had anything supernatural about her, she jumped in feet first and didn’t bat an eye when fate dumped her right in the middle of a mess she never saw coming.

Oh Rhys, what a guy. He’s cocky and damaged and has many swoon-worthy moments all while trying to finally come to terms with Phaedras death. There’s romance and demons and scorching scenes… OH and a burned up iPod that made me giggle. Speaking of romance – it was sometimes sweet, sometimes frustrating and sometimes steamy.

In the end I found myself giving this a 3 star review because while it was good, it wasn’t great. While it was what I love to read there was something lacking. I wanted more and thought a few parts could have been fleshed out a bit to make the story more complete. In the end something just felt missing.

While the book for me was good and entertaining it could have easily been a new favorite. A 3 star review from me is a good rating and means that I’d be ready to check out what’s to come for this series and what’s also out by both authors. Do I recommend this title? Sure, do those out there who have a soft spot for a rock star bad boy and those who love a touch of the supernatural. Enjoy.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. I'm wondering why the dead fiancee won't come out to talk to him but wants him to suffer. I like your honest review. I bet this will be a good series!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love