21 August 2012

Review: Such A Rush By: Jennifer Echols

Title: Such A Rush
Author: Jennifer Echols
Publisher: MTV Books, 325 Pages (July 10th, 2012)
From: the Publisher
Format: ARC
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: A sexy and poignant romantic tale of a young daredevil pilot caught between two brothers. When I was fourteen, I made a decision. If I was doomed to live in a trailer park next to an airport, I could complain about the smell of the jet fuel like my mom, I could drink myself to death over the noise like everybody else, or I could learn to fly.

Heaven Beach, South Carolina, is anything but, if you live at the low-rent end of town. All her life, Leah Jones has been the grown-up in her family, while her mother moves from boyfriend to boyfriend, letting any available money slip out of her hands. At school, they may diss Leah as trash, but she’s the one who negotiates with the landlord when the rent’s not paid. At fourteen, she’s the one who gets a job at the nearby airstrip.

But there’s one way Leah can escape reality. Saving every penny she can, she begs quiet Mr. Hall, who runs an aerial banner-advertising business at the airstrip and also offers flight lessons, to take her up just once. Leaving the trailer park far beneath her and swooping out over the sea is a rush greater than anything she’s ever experienced, and when Mr. Hall offers to give her cut-rate flight lessons, she feels ready to touch the sky.

By the time she’s a high school senior, Leah has become a good enough pilot that Mr. Hall offers her a job flying a banner plane. It seems like a dream come true . . . but turns out to be just as fleeting as any dream. Mr. Hall dies suddenly, leaving everything he owned in the hands of his teenage sons: golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson. And they're determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business—until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers—and the consequences could be deadly.

Review: 4 Stars - Jennifer Echols has done it again with her latest title, Such a Rush. If you are looking for a wonderfully written contemporary title, look no further than anything written by this fantastically talented author.

Leah comes from, well… pretty much nothing. She lives with her always absent mother in a horribly run down trailer park on the wrong side of town. The only plus when they moved there was the small airport across the field. She wants to do something with her life, something that she can do to make it on her own, to be able to support herself and to have a way to take better care of herself. Leah gets a job at the airport office and for lack of a better word, loves it. It gives her time away from the run down trailer and gives her more than just a means to an end. It’s a real start for her and she plans to use this job to go after her real dream – the dream of being a pilot.

With money saved and a plan to ask Mr. Hall who has a hanger at the airfield she sets out to take her first flying lesson. The only problem, she only has the money for one lesson. A deal is made with Mr. Hall and takes her under his wing… no pun intended there.

Leah’s life hasn’t been easy and she makes the most of it. She’s had tough decisions to make and makes some wrong choices along the way but for someone who’s lacking any parental influence other than Mr. Hall she’s done pretty well for herself. Leah is one touch cookie on the outside, with some gooey bits deep inside that of course remain hidden.

And then we have Mr. Hall’s sons who have always been in her life from afar, when they are suddenly thrust into it front and center. Alec and Grayson might be twins, but they are extremely different from one another and they always have been. It’s been a rough road for these two with some let’s just say confusing times ahead.

Grayson and Alec have some serious choices ahead of them and Grayson believes he knows what’s better for his twin. He brings Leah along for the ride and what a bumpy one it is.

I rather enjoyed the dynamic between these three. I might not have agreed with how they all went about things throughout the story, but I think that’s what you do or try to do for someone you love when you feel like you’re against a wall and when you want more than anything  to make a better life for yourself.

Without a doubt I have loved the few books I’ve read by Echols in the past and I will always continue to look forward to anything she writes in the future. Such a Rush is a must read contemporary title with characters that’ll stay close to your heart long after reading and will leave you ready to hear more of their stories. I without a doubt recommend all of Echols titles for contemporary lovers anywhere or those out there who are looking to pick their first one up.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love