25 September 2011


Title: The Urban Fantasy Anthology
Author: Various Authors
Publisher: Tachyon Publications, 432 Pages (August 15th 2011)
From: the Publisher, Thank You!

Synopsis: Star-studded and comprehensive, this imaginative anthology brings a myriad of modern fantasy voices under one roof. Previously difficult for readers to discover in its new modes, urban fantasy is represented here in all three of its distinct styles—playful new mythologies, sexy paranormal romances, and gritty urban noir. Whether they feature tattooed demon-hunters, angst-ridden vampires, supernatural gumshoes, or pixelated pixies, these authors—including Patricia Briggs, Neil Gaiman, and Charles de Lint—mash-up traditional fare with pop culture, creating iconic characters, conflicted moralities, and complex settings. The result is starkly original fiction that has broad-based appeal and is immensely entertaining.

Review: 4 Stars - Urban Fantasy Anthology By: Various authors is thrilling, fun and highly entertaining read from many of our favorite authors. Reading a quick story is sometimes the best medicine when looking for a dose of your favorite author.

With stories ranging from Zombies to witches and everything in between it was easy to find many stories within this Anthology that I wish I could have read more of. See, that’s the thing with an Anthology, getting a taste and making you eager for more.

Some of my favorites include, but are not limited to – (in order on how they appeared in the book) The Goldfish Pool and Other Stories By: Neil Gaiman, A Haunted House of Her Own By: Kelley Armstrong, She’s My Witch By: Norman Partidge, Kitty’s Zombie New Year By: Carrie Vaughn, Seeing Eye By: Patricia Briggs, Farewell, My Zombie By: Francesca Lia Block, and the Coldest Girl in Coldtown By Holly Black.

I think that the story that stands out for me the most of the ones mentioned would have to be the Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black. I really enjoyed that story from beginning to end. It could have been a full length book and the ending was shocking but perfect.

All in all, I might not be mentioning all the stories in this book, but the ones I am talking about in this review were my favorites. Anyone who likes a good Anthology filled with incredible authors should defiantly pick this one up. There’s a story in there that’ll stick with you, just as Coldest Girl in Coldtown has stuck with me.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love