20 August 2011

Review: Michael Vey By: Richard Paul Evans

Title: Michael Vey
Author: Richard Paul Evans
Publisher: Simon Pulse/Mercury Ink, 320 Pages (August 9th 2011)
From: the Publisher, Thank You!

Synopsis: My name is Michael Vey, and the story I’m about to tell you is strange. Very strange. It’s my story.

To everyone at Meridian High School, Michael Vey is an ordinary fourteen-year-old. In fact, the only thing that seems to set him apart is the fact that he has Tourette’s syndrome. But Michael is anything but ordinary. Michael has special powers. Electric powers.

Michael thinks he's unique until he discovers that a cheerleader named Taylor also has special powers. With the help of Michael’s friend, Ostin, the three of them set out to discover how Michael and Taylor ended up this way, but their investigation brings them to the attention of a powerful group who wants to control the electric children – and through them the world. Michael will have to rely on his wits, powers, and friends if he’s to survive.

Review: 4 Stars - Michael Vey By Richard Paul Evans is one of those books that’s hard to put down once you start reading. With a slightly younger cast of teens and a main character you can’t help but love and root for, Evans has written the beginning to a thrilling new series.

First off, I have to say that I loved Michael. He’s a character that is dealing with a lot at only fourteen years old. He has special electric powers he has to keep hidden, he moves around a lot with his mom so they stay safe. Which is understandable, I mean who wouldn’t want a kid who can do the things Michael can? However, he also has Tourette’s syndrome. I think this was part of him that I was most fascinated about in seeing just how Evans would portray a character with an affliction such as this. I was excited that, while it was mentioned and talked about, it wasn’t defining of who he was. He didn’t dwell and complain about it, it was more a matter of fact. I mean teens are self conscious as it is and having something that comes out in visible or verbal ticks, Evans did a great job in NOT making this about the Tourette’s and more about a teen with… well powers.

Michael has some pretty hard choices to make and he makes them the best he can and because of what he believes is right for the people around him. He’s one strong kick butt teen that’s for sure.

With great side characters such as Ostin, Michael’s best friend and Taylor the girl everyone loves, who just happens to be keeping a secret of her own. The three characters came together nicely and made a great team. They worked together and went out of their way to fight for what was right and to help out others along the way.

After reading I was thrilled to have had the chance to read and review this title. I’m not sure I would have heard about it otherwise, so it’s my turn to tell you that this is a book you shouldn’t pass by! While the story is only the beginning to what looks like to be a much larger plot, Evans has set things up nicely for what’s to come in the next book, which I can’t wait to read.

All in all, Michael Vey is very well written with an exciting plot, characters that’ll quickly find their way into your heart and will leaving you more than ready for the next book. I highly recommend this one to anyone, and yes, that means you… so go out and pick this one up today!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really great, you conveyed why you liked it well. It's nice to see a male protagonist too!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love